The Briardale Kids Community Kitchen & Cafe
Project Category: Informal community group
A Kids Community Kitchen and Cafe is a fantastic initiative with the involvement of young people.
The initiative is supported by Northumberland YOS and Barnardos who are managing the Community Space Challenge All Ages for Catch 22 and which has funding from the Big Lottery.
The Kids Community Kitchen and Cafe has provided learning and training opportunities for local young people which has enabled the young people to gain a wide range of skills and knowledge:
· Learning about allotments, horticultural and their environment
· Learning and creating a healthy eating policy
· Being involved in the purchasing of equipment and resources
· Developing and exploring new cooking skills with weekly training
· Promoting healthy eating in a fun way
· Undertaken food safety training
· Created menus and recipe books
· Compiled a toolkit resource with advice and idea’s to support other groups interested in setting up their own project
Initially operating from the Briardale Community Centre, the project is now flexible to take out to local fayres, school events and local activity days within the community.
The project is developing and improving as new young people are being recruited and mentored by the young people already taking part, transferring their skills and learning.
Our young people are committed and dedicated to giving up their spare time at evenings and weekends to make a difference in their community, but most of all they’re having fun!
Thie visions of the future are to learn to run a business and become their own social enterprise.
Owner verified listing
Briardale Community Centre, Briardale Road, Blyth