Poets Corner Community Garden
Project Category: Informal community group
Since January 2016 the members of Poets Corner Community Garden have taken on and transformed an underused former community garden on the Bethnal Green Estate & created a renewed, bigger, more beautiful garden & resource for the local community.
Despite being the newest community garden in Tower Hamlets, Poets Corner Community Garden has contributed to the life of the local community in a vibrant and substantive way. These have been some of our highlights:
- A complete overhaul of the garden, taking the garden from 10 raised beds, to 16 high quality raised beds.
- Hosting a garden summer party for the whole community, excellent attendance from residents, politicians and was reported in Our Eastend.
- Building relationships with businesses and local residents.
- Creating and maintaining a wild area to cultivate biodiversity and attract insects, bees, butterflies and other creatures.
- Sourcing, planting and creating a border of shrubs around the perimeter of the garden, this will enhance the aesthetics of the garden for the surrounding residents and attract bees and butterflies.
- Building and growing a willow reading dome consisting of 20 young willows. When the willows have grown, it will be a secluded haven in the garden.
- The garden has received financial support from Greggs Environmental Foundation, local residents and THH. We have been able to use this money towards serving the garden, and the wider community.
PCCG was set-up and is fully managed and maintained by busy professionals, with families, who volunteer their time in the evenings and weekend. Our motivation in being involved in the garden, despite the many challenges that we have been confronted with, is a belief in the necessity and effectiveness of resident-lead social entrepreneurship; where like-minded people can work together in cultivating a space that benefits both people and the environment.
Owner verified listing