Perfectly Edible UK
Project Category: Community Interest Company
Perfectly Edible UK is a not-for-profit Community Interest Company based in the heart of Leicester. Our mission is to tackle the ever-growing crises of food poverty and food waste. Our objective is to rescue surplus food, that would otherwise be sent to landfill, and make it accessible to families and individuals suffering from food insecurity.
Perfectly Edible UK has a threefold aim:
- To work towards combating the environmental impact of food waste.
- Give those in need access to food they may otherwise not be able to afford.
- Bring communities together.
Food waste is a global phenomenon. According to the United Nations 1.3 billion tonnes of food produced for humans is needlessly discarded.
In Britain alone, the food industry wastes over 1.9 million tonnes of food every year of which an estimated 250,000 tonnes of that is still edible. Yet there are 8.4 million people struggling to afford to eat; this is equivalent to the entire population of London.
Food is the ingredient that binds us together.
Here at Perfectly Edible UK we provide various platforms for social integration, which can improve the health and well being of those who attend and also help to reduce isolation, that is often a key factor in poor mental health, particularly for those in a state of poverty.
For example, every Friday we open the doors of our Community Cafe where we dish up a delicious three-course menu made entirely from surplus food collected that week. In addition to our Community Café we also host a ‘Pay-What-You-Can-Afford’ market stall where families and individuals can gain access to a wide selection of fresh food items and household products all for a small donation.
Our Community Café, held within the Leicester Centre for Integrated Living [LCIL] is where we offer support to people with a variety of physical and mental health needs through volunteering and skill sharing. It is also where people within the community come together to create a three-course meal made entirely from surplus food.
Our Story So Far
Since 2015 Perfectly Edible UK, previously known as ‘The Real Junk Food Project Leicester’, has:
- Cooked over 20,000 meals for the local community.
- Saved over 50 tonnes of food from reaching landfill.
- Prevented over 200 tonnes of CO2 emissions from being emitted into the atmosphere.
- Provided hundreds of food parcels to struggling families and individuals.
- Provided the possibility for families and individuals to gain access to a wide range of healthy produce.
We have achieved a lot in the past four years, however, as the overwhelming statistics prove, there is still a long way for us to go. Which is why we are launching our Summer Crowdfunder Campaign,
‘Food Waste Revolution’.
With your support we hope to:
- Purchase a vehicle so that we can divert more surplus produce from landfill.
- Install a larger food storage facility to house our ever-increasing collection volumes.
- Purchase catering equipment that will enable us to operate as efficiently as possible.
Be a part of the Food Waste Revolution!
Figures from Voices of the Hungry 2016, WRAP – Qualification of Food Surplus, 2016 and WRAP – Surplus Food Redistribution 2015-2017, 2018. Sourced from FareShare 2019.
Owner verified listing
Andrewes Street, West End, England