Oasis Farm Waterloo
Project Category: School
In June 2015, a new urban farm opened its gates in Lambeth, a stones throw from Londons South Bank. The result of a partnership between Oasis Hub Waterloo and educational charity Jamies Farm, the Oasis Farm Waterloo aims to become a thriving community resource for Lambeth and Southwark, offering workshops and community events, a weekend farm shop and a meeting space alongside a programme of support for the students and teachers at two nearby Oasis Academies.
Our first year has been one of tentative steps towards being fully operational. To continue to grow, we need the help of wonderful volunteers! Here are our main volunteering roles:
- Opening and closing the farm: every morning and evening for 30-45 minutes. Tasks include feeding the chickens, mucking out, turning on the aquaponics system and watering.
- General farm hand: our community volunteering days happen every second Saturday of each month. We also need help for special events. This role can include growing and plant management, cleaning, composting, assisting with helping the running of events.
- Site maintenance and biodiversity: assisting with DIY tasks, infrastructure and maintaining habitats for wildlife.
- Administrative: helping specific administrative roles, such as monitoring, social media, research and design work (indoor activity).
- Supporting children and other visiting groups. We regularly have school groups visiting the farm and this role involves supporting the facilitator in these sessions.
Jamie’s Farm is a national charity which transforms childrens lives through Farming, Family & Therapy, re-engaging them with academic life, helping them to fulfil their potential in school and society, raising their self-esteem, confidence and aspiration. Oasis Farm Waterloo will support hundreds of Jamies Farmers, building on their unique experience and bringing the farm back with them to London.
We hope to provide the same therapeutic and educational benefits for our students and local community as a trip to Jamies Farm, here in the heart of the city.
Owner verified listing
18 Carlisle Lane, London