Global Garden Global Kitchen
Project Category: Community Interest Company
We want to grow our community through practical skills training and volunteering by actively engaging local youth, disabled people and socially excluded individuals in our diverse and vibrant local culture with a growing area featuring terraced beds, fruit and unusual vegetables that you cant find anywhere else.
What we’ll do:
- Create a garden to grow global foods and a kitchen fit to cook and teach in.
- Create and maintain 15 raised beds at the front of the Selby Site for growing flowers, fruit shrubs and vegetables.
- Lay woodchip and wooden curbing to demarcate growing spaces from carpark, re-creating composting area.
- Create an additional 40 raised beds for expansive planting in the underused green space behind the Selby Centre site
- Create three-layered terraced growing area utilising sloped region behind raised beds.
- Develop the Global Kitchen into a learning hub for skills building and cultural engagement using food sourced on site.
- Initiate a time bank, cultural cooking classes and learning experiences for developing well-being and practical skills.
- Engage with local community, schools and partner organisations such as the London Community Recycling Network and B2E.
Why it’s a great idea:
We believe that creating a sustainable growing space offers more than a meal. We want to bring people together to embrace diversity, engage young people and tackle the problems of joblessness and isolation that strike at the heart of Tottenham.
Global Garden, Global Kitchen will grow pride in our community and develop a passion for social engagement and environmental success.
We aim to:
ENCOURAGE: Development of practical skills and community engagement in the local community to create an inclusive, green focused space. ??
PROMOTE: Pride in the cultural and community diversity of people coming together to volunteer, learn and grow.
PROVIDE: A space of learning and fun where the community can grow a sustainable model of green development that focuses on local needs and people as well as a sustainble way to deliver foods locally by bike to isolated and busy residents.
How we’ll get it done:
- Engage the local community with the aims of the Global Garden, Global Kitchen Project through our campaign.
- Attract funding for the project with the help of local institutions and social media.
- Plant rare vegetables, fruits and produce with the help of volunteers.
- Create a community kitchen for learning about cultural foods and awareness, practical skills and community inclusion.
- Focus on practical outcomes – work experience, improving community pride and awareness of green issues.
Owner verified listing
Selby Center, Selby Road