Project Category: Registered charity
Design Bank uses donated furniture from the community and creates re-loved furniture that is fun. funky and functional. We offers workshops in upcycling, design, and basic DIY to local community members and vulnerable adults. (Upcycling converts unwanted or useless products into new products of better quality or a higher environmental value.)
We’ll use the principles of regular banking, but with a twist: upcycled items of furniture and the time people put into the project are the currency. So when people sign up for workshops they learn the art of upcycling and also build credits towards their time-bank account. Time credits or cash can then be used to buy items from the project.
- Engage a minimum of 20 beneficiaries from, low/or no income background, each month in our training workshops.
- Increase skill development and confidence of beneficiaries.
- Provide 100 vulnerable adults or low-income families with affordable, good quality reused furniture each month.
- Divert 1 tonne of unwanted furniture from landfill each quarter.
- Employ 7 part time volunteer positions for long-term unemployed and/or vulnerable adults.
- Take on 1 part-time paid employee to run the training workshops.
- Signposting for further work and learnng opportunities to find and stay in work.
- Access to time-banking: time people put into the project, learning and refurbishing furniture, earns time credits which can then be used to purchase items from the shop
- Building capacity through partnership working with local businesses and non-profit organisations.
Owner verified listing