Comber Grove Pocket Park
Project Category: Public Sector organisation
This project will provide a Pocket Park to Redcar Street in West Camberwell between Wyndham Road and Comber Grove.
The area is a mixture of hardstandings and low amenity green space and are overlooked by residential blocks.
The key design features of the scheme are:
- To remove the block mounds in front of Grainge and Finley Courts andreplace with permeable surfacing, adding low maintenance planting and swales that will increase surface water attenuation.
- To remove the impermeable surface at the entrance of Laird Houseand replace with permeable surface.
- To create a shallow detention basin at the back of Laing House with low maintenance suitable planting that will improve water attenuation and enhance biodiversity.
- To formalise the desire line at the site of Laing House and link it with a central social space and the hard court.
- To create visual permeability with Laing House by removing sections of the free-standing wall.
- To create opportunities for informal & imaginative play and an active lifestyle through the addition of timber logs, boulders of different sizes and a trim trail.
The project is based on the following fundamental obtectives:
- To create a visual connection between Finley & Grainge Courts and Laird & Laing Houses.
- To work together with the local residents and provide them with a pocket park that offers opportunities for social engagement and interaction.
- To implement intervention measures that maximise flood alleviation, develop a plan that will create strong and resilient communities & sustainably manage surface water run off in a complex urban setting.
- To develop a sustainable scheme, with multiple environmental benefits.
The key environmental benefits are:
- sustainable urban surface water management
- habitat creation and enhancement
- enhanced biodiversity
- low carbon footprint
- retrospective water attenuation measures
Owner verified listing
Redcar Street, Camberwell, Southwark, London