Challenge Close (St Mary’s Open Space)- Mayors Pocket Park Project is now complete
Project Category: Public Sector organisation
St. Marys, Challenge Close is a 0.24 hectare open space bounded by housing in Harlesden, London NW10.
The vision for this project was to provide an accessible, innovative pocket park in an area with a fast growing population and one of the boroughs highest levels of urban green space deficiency. The design is simple, accessible, and easy to maintain.
The main components are
– Welcoming and functional entrance gates
– Play space with equipment for younger children. Local children have been involved in the choice of play equipment and design layout though a consultation event.
– Refurbished multi use games area
– Food growing area: for individuals and families; bringing the pocket park to life. All food growing will be in timber raised beds.
The project has been developed in partnership with the Friends of Harlesden Town Gardens.
Friends of Harlesden Town Garden was formed in March 2013 to improve the green space generally known as Challenge Close, St Mary’s Road, by making it a more pleasant and enticing space for the local community to enjoy and participate in.
The group will fulfil the aim by:
- Promoting the health and well-being of all the residents of the area
Involving local people and supporting them, through training and guidance
Carrying out and promoting environmental improvements and conservation
Promoting sport, community recreation and play facilities
Working with similar groups and exchanging information