Certificate in Community Orcharding (CICO) – In-Person and Online
Event Category: Training course,Workshop
Our Certificate in Community Orcharding gives you the skills and knowledge to plant, maintain, and manage a community orchard.
This unique level 3 training course, accredited by Crossfields Institute, is now available as a mix of online learning and 5 face-to-face days. You will learn from orchard experts, with the flexibility to do most of your learning at home.
We’ve been running our level 3 CICO course since 2017 as a face-to-face course. It’s been a huge success: over 60 students are qualified orchardists, with some starting careers in the sustainable food growing sector (you can read about them here).
This year we have been working tirelessly to bring CICO partially online, so more people can become orchard experts, without having to trek to London each month.
In this course, you will learn:
- Site survey and orchard design
- Tree Planting
- Pruning (winter and summer)
- Grafting (spring and summer)
- Biodiversity, pests, and diseases
- Soil science & boosting soil biodiversity organically
- Caring for old orchards (including veteran trees)
- Identifying fruit trees and apple varieties
- Managing orchards and the groups caring for them
- …And more!
Online materials will be unlocked as you work through them at home. You will also have email access to tutors and other students so you can stay in touch and on top of things.
Face to Face Training Days
You must attend all the face-to-face training days to be able to gain the Certificate. All days are Saturdays, 10:00-16:00 and held at various locations across London.
- 24th October 2020 – Group Work
- 13th February 2021 – Winter pruning, tree planting
- 13th March 2021 – Spring grafting, soil biodiversity
- 15th May 2021 – Land survey, tree ID, pests & disease, biodiversity
- 12th June 2021 – Summer pruning, chip bud grafting
£820 / £610 (conc.) full course & accreditation
£670 / £460 (conc.) excludes accreditation, so no homework, quizzes or tutor feedback and you wouldn’t gain the Certificate
£0 Pay by volunteering (1 space only)
Paying by instalments available (please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this option)
Concessionary: students, retired on low income, receiving benefits or on low income.
Pay By Volunteering: Pay by volunteering for the Orchard Project for 12 days. Five people will be able to apply for the place by 15th September. Priority will be given to those who have the greatest chance of using the course for their career progression and who would otherwise be unable to afford the fee.